Setting up a Patreon?

hot chicks

Due to some interestingly annoying experiences in freelancing, which I may or may not blog about. (I am waiting to see how this all gets resolved.) I am considering moving ahead on creating a Patreon page sooner that I had planned.  The upside would be that I could start writing fiction that I want to get published, and get paid to create that content by patrons.  However, there are a lot of reasons why I had planned to wait:
  1. I would need a following of people who would want to pay for access to my creative process. I have lots of ideas for stories I would want to write, and I could provide access to my drafting and brainstorming as a way to fund the time spent developing those ideas.  
  2. I have just barely started this blog, and as far as I know it is only friends and family who have checked out my posts. That is a good start, but I do not even know who would be interested.
  3. What I would be creating on Patreon would not necessarily be a direct extension of this blog.  I would not be doing exclusive recipes or anything like that.  I am still developing an idea of what would I want to write about, but it would be somewhat different from what I do on here. 
F*** it, I should just go a head and see what happens, right?

Why Patreon?

If you are not familiar with Patreon, it is platform through which creators - me - get paid by subscribers for exclusive content.  So, instead of me creating something and trying to sell it to a publisher who then sells it to the public, I sell my product directly to the consumer who wants to read it.

Patreon is Interactive 

As a writer, I can create drafts of things I am working on and give exclusive access to my subscribers, who can comment or even direct a story line.  Why only drafts?  Well, I can post final work too, but if I am looking to get published in an anthology or anything serious, I can not have "published" elsewhere. So, posting drafts of things I plan to get published and getting input would allow me to provide exclusive content but still be able to publish it later.  In other words, I can fund my work as I work before I get published.  I can get myself established and eat at the same time!
I am currently mulling over the possibilities, so I am curious as to whether I would be able to get this rolling sooner than planned. Is there any interest in something that I have not quite settled on the form of, but would mainly consist of fiction and occasional deep dives into something that is on my mind? Take the poll! (There is no wrong answer.)



UPDATE 5/25/2018 - The poll has closed, but I have enough interest to proceed and start small. I am still catching up on work stuff after the great coffee spill took my computer out of commission for more than a week, but I will start working on more of the things I really have this blog here to do soon-ish.

Comments

Popular Posts

Follow on Facebook